United Nations Statistics Division
The Statistics Division is committed to the advancement of the global statistical system. We compile and disseminate global statistical information, develop standards and norms for statistical activities, and support countries’ efforts to strengthen their national statistical systems. We facilitate the coordination of international statistical activities and support the functioning of the United Nations Statistical Commission as the apex entity of the global statistical system.
The Statistics Division's main functions are:
- the collection, processing and dissemination of statistical information;
- the standardization of statistical methods, classifications and definitions;
- the technical cooperation programme; and
- the coordination of international statistical programmes and activities.
To carry out these functions, it:
- provides a global centre for data on international trade, national
accounts, energy, industry, environment and demographic and
social statistics gathered from national
and international sources
- promotes international standards of methods, classifications and definitions
used by national agencies
- assists Member States, at their request, to improve their statistical
services by giving advice and training
- coordinates international statistical programmes and activities entrusted
to the Division by the United Nations Statistical Commission and the
Committee for the Coordination
of Statistical Activities (CCSA)
- provides input and secretarial support to the United Nations Statistical
- facilitates the monitoring of progress toward the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) by leading the Interagency and Expert Group on MDG indicators and maintaining the global MDG indicator database
- promotes modern surveying and mapping techniques as a tool for growth
The Division regularly publishes data updates, including the Statistical
Yearbook and World Statistics Pocketbook, and books and reports on statistics
and statistical methods. The Division's databases are also available
on this site.
The Secretary-General appointed Mr. Stefan Schweinfest Acting Director of the Statistics Division effective 1 April 2013. Mr. Schweinfest will carry out the responsibilities of the Acting Director until a new Director is selected, in accordance with the standard United Nations selection procedures.
For further information contact:
Director, Statistics Division
New York, NY 10017
United States of America
Fax: +1 212/963 9851